It’s a new year! The decorations have all been put away… so what’s next? For me, I get an overwhelming urge to organize my space.
Here are seven tips to organize your home:
- Start by the obvious—decluttering. Go room by room and get rid of anything you don’t need or use. If you haven’t used your cross-country skis for eight years, it is unlikely you will ever will. Donate them! It’s good to know someone will enjoy using them.
- Create a storage plan. Think about what you need to store and where it would make the most sense to store it. Consider investing in storage solutions such as clear bins, baskets, and shelves to help keep things organized.
- Make use of vertical space. Using wall space (especially if your walls are taller than the standard 8’ wall), tops of shelves and cabinets are an easy way to utilize all areas. This will keep your floors and surfaces clear and uncluttered.
- Designate a place for everything. Make sure that items have a designated place that makes sense to you—perhaps having items that have the same purpose in one area. The point of organizing is to offer yourself peace and clarity in your home. Also, be mindful to put things away in their designated spot when finished using them. This way your organizational efforts will continue throughout the year.
- Use labels. We purchased a label maker, and it was a game changer! It is a great way to remember where you have put things and will keep them organized. Even labelling something as simple as a random light switch for our Xmas lights so we don’t turn it on by accident.
- Stay consistent. This is the challenging one. This means developing habits that will help you keep your home organized and sticking to your plan. The time spent organizing will continue to reap its reward if you consistently put things back in their place after you afterwards. Ensure your family, partner, or roommates all have the same goal.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. If you are feeling overwhelmed, maybe tackle one space at a time or ask family and friends who excel at organizing to help you. They can offer a fresh perspective and can be great help when it comes to decluttering your space.
Organizational spaces can be beautiful! Ensure your space is something you are proud of, as you are more likely to stick to consistency if it offers beauty, saves time, and gives you a sense of peace. It is a gift you can give yourself, peace of mind knowing all your items are in their rightful place and easy to grasp when you need it.